So no one told you life was gonna be this way?

Another one of my friends has moved away. Cue F.R.I.E.N.D.S. theme song.


I'm not trying to be dramatic but sometimes I feel like everyone around me is moving forward with their lives and I'm stuck in the same place. I couldn't be happier for my gal pal- she's moving to Boulder, CO (!) with her gal pal and they're gonna have a blast being Colorado gals. She's going back to school in an awesome city and I know she's going to do awesome things. Having another friend move away obviously bums me out, but it also reminds me that I'm not moving forward as fast as they are or even as quickly as I had planned.


My friend Annabelle and I at her going away party. #dirtymirror

Lately I've found myself being more anti-social and in turn having a hard time making new friends/meeting new people. I've also been dealing with an increased level of social anxiety, so that always helps. Not that I'm unhappy with my circle of friends at the moment, but I can see the value in at least making the effort to branch out and meet new people. If my friends keep moving away at this rate all I'll have left is long-distance friendships! It wouldn't be too hard to maintain a few long-distance friendships thanks to social media, but I'm sure there would still be a lingering feeling of loneliness. My plan is to move to Colorado within the next couple of years. I'll get to join some friends up there but I'll also be put in the predicament of meeting new people in a new city! YIKES! I'm sure that might not seem like a big deal to some people, but I've lived in the same small city all my life. Although my group of friends has evolved over the years, there's always been at least a feeling of familiarity.

I've been through brief periods of kind of being a loner and I've been totally fine. I think that sometimes it's good to be able to spend time alone and I've found that there's times when I prefer it that way. I used to go to parties alone, not really know anyone and be totally confident. These days that seems like the best possible way to induce an anxiety attack! I'm not sure how I ever did that and I don't know what changed... Anyway, when I look back on at that time in my life, even though I was alone a lot of the time I still felt supported and accompanied by like-minded people (mostly by the means of school). Nowadays,  a lot of my time is spent isolated. Like 75% of my time, if not more. I used to be pretty okay with it but it's beginning to take an emotional toll on me. I found this pretty helpful article and it comforted me in at least knowing that I'm not the only one that's gone through this! I figured that even if I'm too socially awkward to meet new people in real life, I can use the internet (specifically this blog) as a tool to help me find people I can relate to online. Maybe it sounds kind of sad, but it works for me. At least I don't have to deal with crippling social anxiety! 
Has anyone else ever gone through an experience like this? If so, how did you deal? 


Painting a minion on a cutie kid's knee! 


On a lighter note, some things I did over the weekend included purchasing The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (recommended here) and some face painting! So far the book, written by Marie Kondo, is pretty interesting. She talks about how the tidiness (or clutter) of your home can affect all aspects of your life. I've definitely always lived a cluttered lifestyle and collected basically anything that is useless. I figured that if plan on moving soon I better start purging now! Her method is supposedly proven to work without any "relapses" to a cluttered life. I'm not doubting her talents, but she's never seen my room. As for the face painting, I actually ended up painting kids arms and legs too. My friend Kt asked if I wanted to help her paint faces for a back-to-school kids event at Dillard's and I got a free bag out of it! Pretty cool, que no? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a #GIRLBOSS/Saint

Drawing a blank

Back on the Mat