Vegan Eats

So far this vegan thing aint too bad! Actually, it's not bad at all. I'm enjoying a lot of aspects of a vegan diet and I've been trying to keep track of my favorite meals so far. I've pictured a few of them below! (I apologize in advance for the terrible lighting in my house.)



First up is a gluten free hummus wrap. Awwww yeah. It's super simple (in fact, all of these are ridiculously simple) and really tasty! I use my homemade jalapeƱo hummus as a base on a rice tortilla and then basically pile on whatever veggies I have on hand. Usually that includes spinach, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and maybe sliced carrots if I feel like taking the time to slice carrots. This is something I throw together for lunch quite a bit during the week. 

Next is a pretty typical vegan brekkie: oatmeal and fruit. I swear there's oatmeal under all that fruit! I eat overnight oats basically every morning during the week but on the weekends it's nice to cook oats and have a warm breakfast. So yeah, oats cooked with almond milk and cinnamon with a loooooot of fruit = yum!

The last two are dinner-ish type dishes. But to be honest I usually end up eating the leftovers for lunch. The one on the left is brown rice pasta with steamed broccoli, spinach, pesto, and fresh tomatoes. I finally found dairy free pesto at the co-op and I'm so excited about it. I know I can make my own, but basil is kind of expensive and I tried growing my own but I killed it. (#RIPBasilPlant) The only thing that's really involved with this dish is cooking the pasta and steaming the broccoli. Then I just cut up tomatoes and spinach and cover everything in pesto. So easy, right? 

The last one is the most "complicated," but it's mostly just time consuming. Under those veggies and crispy tofu is steamed brown rice. I have a dope rice cooker/steamer thing that I use at least a few times a week and it's the best. I got it at Target a few years ago for like $35 and it was totes worth it. The coolest part about it is that you can cook rice and steam veggies at the same time which is what I did with this dish. The rice takes like an hour to cook so it's good to plan ahead. While the veggies and rice were steaming I was able to pan fry some tofu. All I had to do was coat the sliced and pressed tofu in salt and corn starch then fry them in olive oil until they were crispy. And let me tell you- they were crispy AF. There's a lot of vegans who are oil-free/whole foods based which I'm interested in trying but I don't have an oven right now so that complicates things. Most oil-free alternative ways of cooking rely on baking or roasting things. I have a tiny toaster oven so it's possible but it's just inconvenient. ANYWAY, crispy tofu is delish. When it's paired with steamed broccoli, green beans, rice, and chili garlic sauce it becomes what feels like a super indulgent dish that's still pretty healthy. 

I think it's been about a month since I've starting eating vegan so having four favorite recipes is pretty good in my opinion. It's like finding a new one every week! I'm pretty excited to keep going and find new recipes to try.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a #GIRLBOSS/Saint

ABQ Adventures

Drawing a blank