One Year of Blogging!

I started this blog about a year ago, right after my 23rd birthday.

I don't have that many posts (around 50) but that's better than none posts, right?! I didn't do my best at documenting this year on my blog, but I'm aiming to change that. Slowly but surely...


So here we are in the middle of July again, one year later. To describe my year in a really generic but accurate statement I'd say: it's been a crazy year. I lost my great-grandmother, went through surgery, tried a bunch of new ways of eating, my grandpa survived a heart attack, my uncle was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia, and I saw two different therapists and tried three different medications along the way. I'm not sharing all this to complain or make people feel sorry for me (because we all go through tough times), but I feel like this has been one of the roughest years of my life and it's important to remember that I got through it. 

I'm not big on doing grand celebrations for my birthdays especially since 24 isn't really significant (except that I'm one year away from being a quarter of a century old, yikes!), but I do sometimes get sentimental and reflect on where I'm at and if I'm happy. Obviously there's no simple answer to this, but I'd say overall that I'm happier than I was a year ago. Yeah, I still had my great-grandmother back then and I hadn't ever seen the health of close family members decline so quickly, but I was so lost and felt so stuck. 

After being in therapy for almost a year I've been able to sort through quite a bit of personal stuff. As a result I've been able to figure out what I actually want my future to look like and found some direction as to how to get there. It's hard to explain, but I just know my "future" can't happen here. I'm not happy at this job, in this town, in my living situation, or with how I treat myself. But instead of focusing on all that less than ideal stuff I can confidently say that I'm taking steps to change most of those things and that's enough for me right now.

I've learned two pretty important things this past year that I hope stick with me for the rest of my life:

  1. Nothing is permanent. Whether it's good or bad, things always change.
  2. Just because we're used to it doesn't mean it's okay. This one's more vague and weird but it refers to how I've let others treat me and in turn how I treat myself. Basically, just because we're used to bad things in life it doesn't make them okay.

This next year of my life I'm going to make a more conscious effort to treat myself better which sometimes means putting myself first. That's something I've never done before... so wish me luck!

Happy one year, little bloggy! So proud, they grow up so fast. :'(


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a #GIRLBOSS/Saint

Back on the Mat

When you no longer feel creative